Dogs bark, which is their way of communicating with other animals and people. They are highly territorial and don’t like the presence of other dogs and people much. They can show their aggression by barking or growling. Other reasons dogs bark can be fear, loneliness, or seeking attention. The barking of a dog is natural, but it can become a problem if it happens excessively.
You can try training your dog to stop barking at your vocal commands. The mere fact you are looking for a citronella collar option makes it clear that you are having trouble with your dog’s barking. And your dog is not listening to your vocal commands.
One of the best solutions to prevent your dog’s habit of excessive barking is no-bark collars. And Citronella collars are one such type of no bark collar.
It’s a device that helps train your dog if they have a barking problem. These collars have a sensor that senses the dog’s bark and sprays a substance on its face. The substance sprayed from the collar is citronella, which causes mild irritation to the dog’s nose.
The primary purpose of this collar is to help the dog realise that whenever they bark, they get sprayed with this irritation causing substance and hopefully control their excessive barking.
All the citronella collars work the same, but there are other factors that you should look out for while choosing one for your dog. Neck size, battery life of the collar, rechargeable and adjustable sensitivity are some factors to look out for in a citronella collar. Whether the collar is waterproof or not is another crucial factor to look out for.
Top Citronella Collar Options For Your Dog
We have tried several different citronella collars available in the market and have selected Australia’s six best citronella collar options. Let’s have a look at them in detail.
|PetSafe Rechargeable Citronella Bark Collar||• Rechargeable.|
• Adjustable spray intensity.
|PETSAFE CITRONELLA SPRAY REFILL 88.7ML||• 300 to 400 sprays per can.|
• Compatible with many collars.
• Safe for dogs.
|My Pet Command Citronella Dog Collar||• Three channels for multiple collar connectivity.|
• Three intensity settings.
|WWVVPET Citronella Spray Dog Training Collar with Remote Control||• Two collars per remote.|
• Rechargeable battery.
|ULTPEAK Anti Bark Collar||• Water-resistant.|
• Suitable for all breeds.
• Rechargeable battery.
|Kaiercat Citronella Dog Training Collar||• Compatible with different breeds.|
• Rechargeable battery.
1. PetSafe Rechargeable Citronella Bark Collar
PetSafe has been one of the largest manufacturers of products for pet training for more than 25 years so that pet owners can enjoy the best moments with their pets. Even though they are a company based in the US, they have customers from over 52 countries, including Australia.
This citronella collar from PetSafe is rechargeable making it more convenient to use. The device works with a sensor that senses the sound and vibration of your dog’s bark, and a burst of spray falls on their face. This is an effective and humane way to control the excessive barking habit of your dog.
You don’t have to pay any shipping charges for delivery all over Australia. Let us take a detailed look at the features as to what makes it our top choice for citronella collars.
- Convenient to use: The collar comes with citronella refill cartridges. These are easier to replace in comparison to the refill cans. One cartridge will last for about 30 to 45 sprays depending upon the strength of the spray. The ease of changing the cartridge makes the collar more convenient to use.
- Rechargeable: The collar comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The package includes a USB charger that you can use to charge the collar using your laptop or mobile when the battery gets low. An indicator light turns red in case of a low battery and turns green when the battery is full. Rechargeable batteries help reduce the pollution created by battery waste.
- Water-resistant: You don’t have to worry about using the collar when it suddenly starts raining while you are out with your dog. The collar is water-resistant and won’t damage rainwater or accidental water spillage. This collar is suitable for dogs who like to play outside.
- One size fits all: You don’t have to worry about the size of the collar fitting your dog. The collar will fit just fine as long as the dog is above 3.6 kgs of weight. Whether you own a small breed dog or a large breed dog, this collar is suitable for all of them. It has an adjustable design that can fit any dog with a neck size of 68.58 cm.
- Adjustable spray settings: The best feature of the collar is the adjustable spray settings. You can set the intensity at which the collar sprays citronella mist at your dog. Depending upon your dog’s behaviour, you can select the setting at weak or strong. The red light indicates that the spray setting is strong, and the green light indicates a weak setting.
- There are two spray cartridges in the package, one scented and one unscented.
- The collar has a rechargeable battery.
- There are two different settings for spray.
- It has indicator lights for low battery and spray settings.
- The collar is suitable for dogs weighing 3.6 kgs and above.
- It is water-resistant.
- It comes with a USB charger.
- It can be costly compared to other brands.
2. PETSAFE CITRONELLA SPRAY REFILL 88.7ML
The last product on our list is the citronella spray refill from the brand PetSafe. This product is not a citronella collar per se but made it to our list because all the other collars probably won’t work without this.
This refill can from PetSafe contains safe levels of citronella oil in it. When it gets sprayed on your dog’s face, then they feel a slight burning in their nose and cause mild irritation. This helps control your dog’s bad behaviour of nonsense barking.
When your dog gets familiar with the spray and the irritation at their nose, whenever they bark, eventually, they will stop barking unnecessarily. Using a citronella collar on your dogs is a humane way of training them rather than using a shock collar.
One refill can from PetSafe of 88.7 ml can offer about 300 to 400 sprays. The price of the spray is not too high, and you get a decent number of sprays from it, making it such a good choice for training your dog. Let us look at some other features as to what makes this spray refill one of the best choices.
- Compatibility: The citronella spray refill can is compatible with several citronella collars. You can use this can to refill all the citronella collars from the brand PetSafe itself and several other brands. Any anti-bark collar that uses citronella oil is compatible with this refill spray can. You can get about 300 to 400 sprays out of each can.
- Cost Efficient: With just $29.99 per can, this spray can refill a cost-efficient choice for you. Each refill spray can last for about 300 to 400 sprays depending upon the collar you are using and the intensity of the sprays, which can last you for a long time.
- Less Mess: Refilling a collar using this refill can is less messy. The can is designed so that while pouring the solution into the collar, it doesn’t spill out or drips down the side. Hence, reduce the chances of wastage of product and is convenient for you to use without any mess.
- Free Shipping: If you order products over $49.99, you can get free shipping anywhere in Australia. Since the can costs about $29.99, you can order two cans to reach the minimum price. Also, some areas in Australia can get same-day delivery, so it is even more beneficial if you urgently need a refill.
- Safe For Pets: They can contain a solution with citronella oil. The percentage of citronella oil is safe for animals and won’t cause any reaction if used on them.
- This spray can be compatible with several citronella collars.
- It has safe levels of citronella oil in it.
- It offers about 300 to 400 sprays per can.
- They can easily refill the collars without any mess.
- It helps control the barking of your dog.
- Citronella oil is not harmful to your dog.
- The free shipping is available only if you order above $49.99.
You May Also Like: 5 Best Dog Ball Launcher Options in Australia
3. My Pet Command 2600 FT Range (0.5 Mile) 4-1 Citronella Dog Training Collar
Our second best citronella collar is the one for MY PET Command. It is an excellent choice for people who own multiple dogs or dog trainers as it lets you connect up to three collars with a single remote. Controlling three dogs is made possible with the three different channels on the remote to connect a collar to each channel.
This pet collar offers a four in one training solution with vibrate, spray and tone for your dogs. Rechargeable batteries that last up to a week once fully charged make the collars more convenient to use.
With a high spray nozzle, the collar effectively helps control your dog’s barking behaviour. Refilling the collar is easy as it uses standard refill cans, and you can use the PetSafe spray cans to refill the collars. The collar is water-resistant and can handle light to moderate rain, but you should never use the collar while taking your dog swimming.
The collar is compatible with dogs of all breeds. It can fit a neck size of 15 to 65 cms.
- Long Battery Life: The collar comes with an inbuilt rechargeable battery. Having a rechargeable battery makes the collar more convenient to use. One full charge of the battery can last for a week, so you don’t need to remember charging the device every day.
- Adjustable Spray Modes: every dog is different, and some might be more aggressive than others. The collar has three different levels of spray settings, and you can adjust the setting high, low or medium depending upon how aggressive your dog is. One refill lasts up to 42 sprays depending upon the intensity of the spray.
- Multiple Dogs: The transmitter or the remote has three channel settings, and each channel can connect to a separate collar. If you have multiple dogs, you don’t have to use multiple remotes. You can connect three different collars on the remote on three channels.
- Digital Display: The collar remote has an LCD that displays the spray levels and the channels. The display helps avoid confusion about which set the spray is on and which channel is connected.
- Dog Training: The collar comes with an ultrasonic whistle that you can use for training your dog to follow your command. The package also includes a training guide to assist you in training your dog.
You can train your dog to behave properly using these combined with the collar. The collar also comes with an LED light, and it makes your dog visible to you while going out at night.
- Convenient To Use: The collar comes with a remote which works smoothly over a long range. It can connect to the collar up to half a mile, making it more convenient to use. The remote comes with a lanyard for hanging it around your neck or securing it to your clothes.
The collar has an IPX5 rating of water resistance, making it easy to use outside even while it’s raining.
- The collar has three intensity settings for spray.
- You can connect up to three collars on a single remote.
- The remote offers a long range of half miles.
- The collar battery is rechargeable and lasts up to a week on a single charge.
- It is a complete package for training your dog with the whistle, guide and citronella collar.
- The collar is water-resistant.
- It also has an LED light for visibility at night.
- Not suitable for dogs with long hair.
4. WWVVPET Citronella Spray Dog Training Collar with Remote Control
This citronella spray dog training collar is the third-best collar for controlling your dog’s bad behaviour of excessive barking. It comes with a remote control that offers two different training modes for your dog.
You can use the same remote to control two dogs at once, making it possible to use when you own multiple dogs. The range of the remote is pretty decent with a 500 feet radius. The collar comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts for about a week after a charge of two to three hours which makes it convenient to use.
The collar comes with a refill can that has an easy to use mechanism for refilling the collar. If the can gets over, you can buy the citronella refill from PetSafe to use the collar.
Let us have a look at some other features of the collar.
- Multiple Training Modes: This collar comes with multiple training modes- spray and beep sound. This helps train your dog to stop barking unnecessarily without extreme methods.
- Easy to use: The collar is easy to use with simple settings and remote control. In the case of a low battery, there is an indicator light that turns red, making it easier to know when to charge the battery. One refill lasts about 25 to 35 sprays, and one can give about 300 to 400 sprays.
- Long-range: The remote control ranges 500 feet which means you can control your dog even when they are at a distance from you. There are two different channels on the remote control, making it possible to control two dogs simultaneously.
- Safe: The citronella oil used in the spray can cause mild irritation to the dog’s nose for some time and doesn’t cause any permanent harm. It is a safe way to control your dog’s bad behaviour rather than using the shock collar.
- Convenient: Since the collar comes with a rechargeable battery, you often don’t need to replace the batteries. Also, the collars are adjustable from 8 to 27 inches and are convenient for use on dogs of all breeds and sizes. Just make sure that the dogs are six months old and weigh over 8 pounds.
- It is safe for dogs.
- The collar is water-resistant.
- It comes with a rechargeable battery.
- It is compatible with dogs of all breeds and sizes.
- The remote has a long range of 500 feet.
- You can control two collars with a single remote.
- The range of the remote may not be sufficient for fast dogs.
5. ULTPEAK Anti Bark Collar
The last collar that made it to our list is the one ULTPEAK. It has similar functionality as the other citronella collars. It is water-resistant, so you can use the collar while taking your dog outside, even in rainy weather. You can refill the collar using the PetSafe refill can.
The collar comes with rechargeable batteries and doesn’t have any remote. The settings are given on the collar, making it more simple. All you have to do is adjust the sensitivity settings of the collar depending on your dog breed and size. Let’s take a look at some of its features.
- Safe Dog Training: The spray collar is a safe and humane way of training your dog rather than using a shock collar. It helps with your dog’s habit of excessive barking by spraying citronella oil solution on their face, which causes mild irritation.
- Adjustable Settings: This collar comes with adjustable settings. You can set the intensity of the spray dispensing upon the size of your dog. Small and large dogs bark at different pitches, so you can increase or decrease the sensitivity according to that.
- Suitable for different breeds: The collar is suitable for dogs of any breed and size as the collar is adjustable. The only thing you need to keep in mind is not to use the collar on puppies. Use the collars once the dog is six months old and weighs about 8 pounds.
- Water-resistant and rechargeable: The dog collar from ULTPEAK comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. You can get about seven days of use by charging the battery for about two hours, making it extremely convenient to use.
The collar is also waterproof, meaning light to moderate rainfall will not cause any damage to the collar. It means you can take your dog out for a walk even when it’s raining outside.
- It is a safe way of training your dog.
- It comes with adjustable settings and sensitivity.
- It is suitable for dogs of all breeds.
- The collar is water-resistant.
- It comes with a rechargeable battery.
- The collar is not very effective on long-haired dogs.
6. Kaiercat Citronella Dog Training Collar
The next best collar on our list is the Kaiercat citronella dog collar. It also comes with a rechargeable battery which can last you for a week after a charge time of just a few hours. The dog collar is suitable for all breeds, with the size of the collar being adjustable from 8 to 27 inches.
It is also convenient to use outside even when the weather is not good, with the collar being water-resistant. Let us look at some other features as to what makes this collar one of the best.
- Effectively Trains Dogs: The collar is an effective way of training your dog to stop their excessive barking. It uses citronella oil to spray the dog’s face to cause mild irritation every time they bark while wearing this collar.
- Adjustable sensitivity: The collar comes with adjustable sensitivity settings. You can set the sensitivity level to low, medium or high depending upon the size and barred of your dog.
- Rechargeable and water-resistant: The collar features a rechargeable lithium-ion battery which can last for a week after a charge of 2-3 hours. The collar is also water-resistant, making it convenient to use even when it is raining outside.
- Easy To Use: The collar comes with low battery and refills indicators. If the spray liquid is less, then it will blink the red light every five seconds, and in the case of a low battery, it will blink every second. With an easy refill mechanism, the collar is pretty easy to use.
- Compatible: The collar is compatible with dogs of all breeds. As long as the dog is six months old and weighs over 8 pounds, this collar is suitable for them. With an adjustable strap, it can fit dogs of all sizes. The neck size of the collar is 8 to 27 inches long.
- It has a rechargeable battery.
- The collar is water-resistant.
- It has a low battery and sprays indicator.
- It comes with adjustable sensitivity settings.
- It fits all dogs over 8 pounds.
- It doesn’t come with citronella spray.
No one likes a misbehaving pet, especially when they are barking non-stop. Using citronella collars is one of the most humane ways to control your dog’s bad behaviour effectively.
With the market filled with numerous citronella dog collars, choosing is not simple. We have compiled a list of some of the best citronella dog collars and a refill for them. You can give these a try.