Your car needs to be safe for you, your family, and your pets. Most often, we tend to not pay serious attention to dogs’ safety. The laws in Australia are different in different states (in this matter). You might not think much about it and simply follow the rules unless your dog doesn’t like travelling in the car or being restrained in the back seat.
However, using a dog car seat and securing your fur baby is recommended even if the laws aren’t too particular about it. In fact, it is quite easy to get a car seat for small to mid-sized dogs. It’s similar to buying a baby seat for your little one.
A good dog car seat will ensure that your pet is safe and happy in the backseat and won’t disturb you when driving. A comfortable doggy is less likely to distract you when driving, isn’t it? For example, you can secure your little pet in a booster seat so that it can see outside through the window and enjoy the scenery from the comfort of the car.
That said, a dog car seat is an ideal choice in many instances. You can use the car seatbelt for bigger dogs so that they have enough space to be comfortable but not enough to distract you from behind. Car harnesses also work for some dogs.
There are various types of car seats available for dogs. The booster seat is different from the one that goes around the headrest. Then some models need the seatbelt. You need to choose the model that best suits your car and your dog. Also, make sure to check with the local authorities/ laws before buying a dog car seat.
Top Dog Car Seats in Australia
Now, go through the reviews of Australia’s top six best dog car seats. We compiled the list after carefully researching several models in the market.
|PetSafe Happy Ride Booster Seat||• Has a headrest|
• Hassle-free maintenance
• Comfortable car seat
|Good Stuff Travelin' Dog Pet Seat||• Harness keeps your dog safe|
• Fits on the backseat
• Adjustable height
|Pettom Pet Car Booster Seat||• Comes with a removable cover|
• Can be used in cars and flights
• Ideal for small dogs
|NIBESSER Dog Car Seat||• Has a soft padding|
• Easy to install
• Resistant to water
|GENORTH Small Dog Car Seat||• Suitable for small dogs|
• Fits all vehicles
• Safety strap keeps the dog safe
|BLOBLO Dog Car Seat||• Dog bites resistant|
• Can be used as a car seat and dog bed.
• Comes in single coffee colour
#1. PetSafe Happy Ride Booster Seat – Dog Booster Seat for Cars
The first best dog car seat on our list is by PetSafe Store. It’s the Happy Ride Booster Seat, a great choice for small and medium-sized dogs and pups. You can mount it up on the front seat or the backseat. It comes with two straps and has to be secured to the headrest. This is a headrest model.
The booster seat is similar to a rectangular basket. It is lined with soft towels, and the liner is made using polyester and fleece. It is soft and won’t rub against your dog’s skin or cause itching. You have to use the two straps to fix the booster seat to the car seat. You can adjust the height to suit the size of your dog. For slightly bigger dogs, place the seat closer to the bottom of the car seat.
Attach the first strap harness around the headrest and the next one around the car seat’s backrest. Then place your dog in the basket and use the internal harness to prevent it from jumping out. Adjust the position of the dog car seat until your furball is comfortable and can look out of the window.
Measure your car seat and your dog before you choose the right one. The dog car seat comes in three sizes- medium, large, and extra-large. The PetSafe Store has provided the maximum weight capacity for each size; size up if your dog weighs closer to the maximum capacity.
- Easy to Maintain: The liner can be removed and washed in the machine. You don’t need to spend a lot of time cleaning and maintaining the dog car seat.
- Depth: The seat doesn’t come with additional padding. There’s enough space for your dog to move its legs and tail. However, you can place towels or soft cushions if your doggy is too small and can’t fit over the rim of the booster seat.
- Comfortable: The seat is comfortable and secure, thanks to the fleece liner. It gives your dog the necessary breathing space to keep it calm and relaxed. That said, the booster seat may tilt if your dog is tiny.
- Internal Harness: Use the internal harness to secure your dog in the booster seat. This restricts sudden movements and avoids distractions.
- Height Adjustment: The booster seat can be set up at different heights. However, the strap to harness it to the headrest is rather small. It is strong to carry your dog’s weight but not as long as it should have been.
- Internal frame design for stability
- Washable liner
- Fast and easy installation
- It comes in three sizes
- Soft liner made of Oxford polyester and fleece
- It has a storage pocket
- The strap to secure the harness is short
- Tends to tilt with tiny dogs inside
Also Read: 6 Best Dog Gate Reviews
#2. Good Pet Stuff Travelin’ Dog Pet Seat
The dog car seat by Good Pet Stuff is the second best model on our list. This is a different model from the previous booster seat but is just as comfortable. The pet seat looks like a plastic box lined with foam and fleece padding. It has a harness to secure your dog and comes with multiple fasteners to fix it on the backseat of your car.
The pet seat has legs that allow you to adjust the height to suit your car’s design and dog’s preferences. However, the legs tend to collapse often. Any easy way to prevent this is by placing a cushion between the legs or using a tiny reinforcement to make the legs sturdy and hope for their place.
As the name suggests, the Travelin’ pet seat is super useful for short and long trips. If you like to go on long drives or travel with your dog in a car, this set will come in handy to keep your dog happy during the trip. Moreover, your doggy won’t feel the heat and sweat of sitting on a leather seat for long hours.
The pet seat will fit in most medium to big cars. You can use it in convertible cars as well. You don’t have to worry about your dog jumping out. The harness will keep it firmly in place without causing discomfort. The company offers a one-year limited warranty on the dog car seat.
- Heavy-Duty Fastening: The pet seat comes with a three-way fastening that prevents forward and sideward movements of your dog. This ensures that your dog won’t suddenly try to stand, crawl, or jump from its seat.
- Soft Foam Seating: The seating is a foam padding covered with soft fleece to create a cosy setup for your dog to sit and enjoy the ride.
- Good-Looking Design: The pet seat comes in a neutral colour to suit all kinds of car decor and blend in with the rest. There’s a built-in bowl with two slots and a lid attached to the inside of the pet seat. You can add food and water to the bowl for your pet. Close the lid afterwards to prevent spillage.
- For Different Pets: The Travelin’ pet seat is not only for dogs. It is equally comfortable for cats too. In fact, your cat might have a little more space to stretch than your dog.
- Fits on the Backseat: The dog car seat has been designed for the backseats. You don’t need a headrest, though. Use the car seat belt to secure it in place and drive away.
- Adjustable height
- Three-way fastening system
- One-year limited warranty
- Attachments for food & water bowls
- Stylish design
- Soft base cushion
- The legs tend to collapse
- The lid of the bowls tends to break easily
#3. Pettom Pet Car Booster Seat Carrier
There’s a lot to love about this booster seat carrier by Pettom. For one, it’s super comfortable for little doggies to lie inside and watch the world through the mesh windows on the sides. The carrier feels like a safe dog bed with a removable cover. It has extra padding to keep the interiors soft for your pet baby. Moreover, you can use your dog’s favourite blanket or towel to add another layer of softness.
The carrier looks like an oversized shoulder bag and comes with adjustable straps. It feels a tad uncomfortable to carry it around but is entirely safe for your pet. The bottom of the carrier is sturdy. There’s no fear of it breaking open or your dog falling out. You can hook the carrier to car seats, plane seats, etc., and carry your little doggy by slinging the case over your shoulder. Also, you can use the shorter handles to carry the booster seat in your hand.
The carrier has a mesh pocket and a few more side pockets to store your doggy’s treats, toys, etc. You don’t need another bag to carry these items separately. That makes it easier to take care of your dog when travelling. The carrier has been designed for long-distance travel. The mesh top cover and windows allow ample light into the booster seat.
- Two-in-One Design: The biggest advantage of the booster seat carrier is that it can be used in cars and flights. This is an aeroplane-safe model for people who travel with their pets from one place to another. Then, you can continue using it as a car seat for your dog. The high price is worth it.
- 600D Nylon Material: The carrier is made of high-quality material and is durable. It can hold the shape with ease without being stiff or hard and is easy to clean. It can last for a really long time.
- Adjustability: The harnesses and straps are all adjustable. You can make the required adjustments to fit the carrier on the car seat and buckle it in the way your dog finds it comfortable. When not in use, fold the carrier and store it in the netted cover that comes in the package.
- Easy Entry Points: The dog car seat has more than one entry point. You can place your little fur ball inside from the top or allow it to go in from one of the side entry points. Moreover, the carrier is suitable for smaller pets like cats, kittens, and pups.
- Great Ventilation: You don’t ever have to worry about ventilation for your dog inside the carrier. The design provides for it.
- Well-built and durable
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Portable and collapsible
- Can be used for other smaller pets
- Top mesh cover
- Side pockets for storage
- Expensive model
- Ideal only for small dogs weighing up to 15 lbs
Also Read: 8 Best Dog Harness to Buy in Australia
#4. NIBESSER Dog Car Seat, Dog Booster Seat, 2-in-1 Car Seat
The dog car seat by NIBESSER is cosy, bulky, and comfy. It’s not for every cat and dog but works like a dream for little furballs. The dog seat looks like a compact sofa with soft padding on the bottom. The protection wall on the front keeps your dog safe inside and supports its head.
If you have a dog with orthopaedic problems, you’ll find this booster seat to be a great choice to provide comfort and relief to your dog’s back, joints, and bones. Pups and older dogs will equally love the booster seat.
The material is water-resistant. It is also anti-scratch and bite-resistant. Your doggy won’t damage the bottom cushions or claw its way through the outer cover. Moreover, the shape of the booster seat ensures that your dog can’t scratch the car seat either. That’s a smart move, isn’t it? Moreover, the harness ensures that your dog doesn’t wobble or move around too much inside the booster seat.
The dog car seat comes with wide pockets on both sides. Throw in the toys, towels, treats, leash, etc., to save space. Make sure to leave the car seat in the wind for 10 minutes or more after unpacking it. That’s because the company uses vacuum packing to ship the seat. Let it spread out and get back to its original shape before using it for your dog. The buckle straps should be fitted to the car seat to install the carrier in place. You can install it in a few minutes.
- Fluffy & Comfy: The dog car seat is fluffy and bulky. It is highly comfortable but doesn’t fit well in smaller cars and cannot accommodate slightly bigger dogs with long limbs.
- Easy Maintenance: The seat cover and the double-sided cushions are removable. You can wash them separately and put them back again. Don’t forget to flip the cushion based on the season.
- High-Quality Materials: The seat is made using 9000D nylon, a hypoallergenic material that is free of toxic chemicals. If your dog has sensitive skin, this booster seat is a safe choice.
- Versatile: The booster seat has many other uses. You can fold it on the side and convert it into a dog bed. You can remove the cushions and use them as dog mats at home.
- Secure: The booster seat’s bottom has an anti-slip design that ensures minimum or no movement once it is in place. In fact, you can use it at home as a dog chair and be assured that your doggy won’t hurt itself when jumping inside.
- Easy installation
- Anti-scratch material
- Multipurpose dog car seat
- Best for small and mid-sized dogs
- Adjustable design
- Can be bulky
- Not suitable for all cars
#5. GENORTH Small Dog Car Seat Upgrade Deluxe Portable Small Pet Booster Seat
The fifth dog car seat on our list is by GENORTH and has been specially designed for little dogs that weigh less than 13 pounds. It looks like a square box with fabric and meshes on the sides to provide support. So how does the structure hold shape? Well, you’ll have to do a bit of work here. The package contains PVC rods that help in setting up the dig seat.
You’ll have to follow the instructions to ensure that the carrier is sturdy and in a perfect square. This might take a little time when you set it up initially. Once you understand the process, installing and removing the dog car seat anytime you want is super easy.
The company provides an adorable cow blanket with a car seat. The blanket is made of fleece and can be easily cleaned from time to time. Your doggy is sure to love such a soft and cosy blanket when sitting in the car seat. Do remember that the seat hasn’t been designed for medium-sized dogs. Though they’ll fit right in, they can also jump out just as easily. This can be dangerous when you’re driving.
- Waterproof Material: The portable booster seat is made using durable waterproof Oxford cloth. This makes it easy to clean and maintain. The metal hooks are sturdy and don’t break easily.
- Breathable and Comfortable: The mesh sides of the booster seat provide good ventilation. Of course, the top is open too. Your dog can enjoy the view from the side mesh even when lying down on its side.
- Invisible Pocket: There’s an invisible pocket on the top (which is hooked to the car seat). You can store your doggy’s treats and stuff in this pocket. It won’t even come in the way or occupy extra space.
- All-Vehicle Compatible: The biggest advantage of this booster seat is that it fits in all vehicles. Oh, it is a headrest model and needs to be harnessed around the seat and its headrest. Install it in the backseat for convenience.
- Safety Strap: The safety strap ensures that your pup/ dog will not climb out of the booster seat. However, make sure to attach the strap to the harness and not the dog’s collar. Hooking it to the collar can lead to injuries.
- Sturdy build with PVC frames
- Free fluffy fleece blanket
- Anterior pocket for storage
- Designed for small pets up to 13 lbs
- Adjustable safety belt
- Collapses if the support is not installed properly
- Easy for some dogs to jump over the side
Also Read: 7 Best Dog Clippers to Buy in Australia
#6. BLOBLO Dog Car Seat Pet Booster
The last dog car seat on our list is by BLOBLO. The pet booster seat comes in a coffee stripe design and resembles a plush chair for doggies. The seat is made of Oxford material and is resistant to dog bites. It is durable, cosy, and comfortable. Your little dog is sure to love the booster seat.
The seat has to be assembled and installed. The assembling is rather easy once you figure out which cushion goes where. The installation is super simple. You only have to buckle the booster seat and fix it on the car seat. Moreover, it can be placed on the front and rear car seats. You can ride with your dog in the first seat without any trouble. Just adjust the seat belt accordingly to prevent your dog from reaching you or the steering.
Moreover, the dog car seat fits in various car models. That said, make sure to measure your car’s insides before buying the booster seat. And yes, use a towel or a blanket on the car seat before the booster seat on it. The booster seat has rubber legs at the bottom for better grip. These legs dig into the car seat and can damage the upholstery. Adding a layer between the two should solve the problem.
- Easy to Maintain: The booster seat is easy to clean and maintain. Remove the seat cover for washing and put it back afterwards. The mat at the bottom is also removable. You don’t have to worry about germs breeding in the booster seat.
- Car Set cum Bed: The booster seat is not limited in its usage. You can use it at home as a dog bed and install it as a spare seat in the car. You can even use it outdoors, though only during non-rainy days.
- Suitable for Smaller Pets: Though the car seat is comfortable and warm, it is suitable for puppies and smaller dogs. Even medium-sized dogs can find it small and restricted. You can still use it as a car seat for shorter distances.
- Good-Looking Design: The booster seat comes in a single coffee colour and stripe design. It has a pocket on each side and sidewalls for protection. Your doggy can curl up inside and rest its head on the walls.
- Adjustable: The straps are adjustable even though they are a little small. That should be an issue for little doggies. It’ll be good to go once you readjust the straps to suit your requirements.
- Easy to install
- Goes on front and rear seats
- Side pockets of storage
- Removable mat
- Multipurpose dog car seat
- Fits in different types of cars
- The straps could be longer
- The rubber legs can dent the car seat
The Bottom Line
Dog car seats are useful and effective in restraining your furballs in the car while keeping them comfortable and relaxed. You can use our article as a checklist to research more about the best dog car seat for your four-legged buddy.
Before finalizing a seat and placing an order, take time to measure the inners of your car and your dog’s size. Choose the best dog car seat for your pet and enjoy your trips.