Nutritional food is an unavoidable part of your canine best friend’s growth. And this is one aspect you cannot ignore easily. Many nutritionists and veterinarians also vouch for the need of adding nutritious food to a pet dog’s everyday diet.
Witnessing this upsurge in demand for healthy dog food, many different brands have ventured into the business. However, not every brand can offer the perfect food for your canine friend.
Today, we will list the seven best dog foods available in Australia to answer your queries. You can try among these brands and find what suits your dog’s taste and your budget.
You love your dog, and you try to feed it with the best nutritious diet that you can find. But, sometimes, you might grow suspicious of the ingredients that companies might be using. That is why we will tell you only the best tried and tested brands.
Best Dog Foods in Australia
Most people like to feed their dogs a homemade formula. But, feeding your dog a homemade diet is a time-consuming thing to do. There is also no guarantee that your dog will not get bored with this food in the long run. That is why you should consider buying good dog food.
Dog foods are carefully formulated to have the optimal amount of every nutrient your dog needs. Besides nutrients, dog foods also take care of dental and digestive health. And for maintaining the overall good health of your pet buddy, good dog food will be your one-stop solution.
We will now list all the seven brands, and we will tell you their features, pros, and cons in detail.
|Petzyo Kangaroo and Sweet Potato||• Highly nutritious|
• Affordably priced
• The company offers an easy and fast delivery to your doorstep
|Ziwi Peak Dog Air-Dried Food||• Zero use of chemical preservatives|
• Beef meat with green mussels gives sufficient protein
• Super tasty option to consider
• You can feed this food to recovering dogs
|Free-Range Grass-Fed Beef||• Freeze-dried to preserve natural taste and smell|
• Highly rich in fats and protein and limited carbohydrates
• It is Affordable and highly rated Pet Food Reviews Australia
|Stockman and Paddock Dry Beef Food||• A good source of nutrition for an active dog.|
• No harmful chemicals are added to increase its flavour and smell.
• It is affordably priced to be a pocket-friendly option to choose.
|ZiwiPeak Tinned Dog Food||• This dog food has Nutrient-rich meat content with ample amounts of vegetables|
• Fit for all age groups and breeds of dogs
• It has the necessary fatty acids to keep vital organs healthy
|Ivory Coat Puppy Chicken||• It promotes muscles growth in puppies|
• It is a great energy source as it has a healthy amount of vitamins and minerals
• You can preserve it without refrigeration
|Hill's Science Chicken Rice & Barley Recipe Dry Dog Food||• It is a known brand that plays a dental care role well.|
• It has fatty acids and vitamins to take care of the dog's vital organs.
• It is a tasty dog food that canines love.
#1. Petzyo Kangaroo and Sweet Potato
Wherever we mention premium-quality dog food, Petzyo always tops the chart. This proud Australian brand has the best naturally made dog food, and the ingredients are sourced sustainably from nature.
The dog food has the base of kangaroo meat and sweet potato. In addition to these ingredients, it also has superfoods like blueberries, turmeric, and flavoured herbs. Petzyo fulfils the requirements of PFIAA and AAFCO.
They deliver at your doorstep all over Australia. Petzyo’s website is designed around scientific facts about feeding. The best aspect is that it offers customised feeding portions and cycles as per the dog’s weight and age.
Here are some of the features of Petzyo Dog food.
- Naturally Sourced: The best thing about this dog food is using natural ingredients while making it. Kangaroo meat, sweet potatoes, chicken oil, and flaxseed oil are sustainable natural sources and full of nutrition for your doggo’s healthy growth. Hence, you don’t need to worry about feeding any harmful chemical diet to your dog.
- Rich in Nutrients: Petzyo dog food has all the necessary vitamins and minerals. It has iron, manganese, zinc, and copper in ample amounts. Plus, vitamins like A, B, B1, B2, B6, B11, B12, D, and E make this food a fantastic blend of vitamins and minerals to top our chart of best dog food.
- Affordable in Price: You can see it yourself that for premium-quality dog food, it is reasonably priced. Petzyo is a brand that aims to provide the best with natural ingredients. They will start to expand to the retail stores in some time.
- High-Quality Standards: This product is very high in its quality standards. It fills the requirements of AAFCO and PFIAA. You will get the trust of thousands of satisfied Australians with Petzyo dog food. These stats make this dog food the best choice to buy for your dog.
- It has a significant amount of omega-3 and fatty acids.
- It is made up of 100% natural and sustainable ingredients.
- It has an amazing quantity of fruits, vegetables, and pulses.
- It maintains dental and digestive health with utmost proficiency.
- It has all the necessary vitamins and minerals to boost your dog’s potential.
- Super tasty, so that your dog shows no more tantrums and cleans the bowl every time.
- Slightly less quantity of fats and protein in it.
- Minerals and vitamins are added as a pack, not individually.
Bonus Read: 5 Best Playpen for Puppies in Australia
#2. Ziwi Peak Dog Air-Dried Food Beef
ZiwiPeak is a New Zealand brand that claims the second position on our list. This brand aces all kinds of foods for cats and dogs, and they have wet and dried food for your canine and feline best friends. But today, we will tell you about their dog foods only.
The meat for this dog food is sourced from the best farms in New Zealand, which ensures the quality of their product. Like Petzyo, they also have a feeding calculator on their website to facilitate perfect feeding sizes.
ZiwiPeak Dog Food is very light and tasty, and you can give it to your recovering dogs as well. There are no preservatives used in this product, so you can trust it for your dog. Now we will tell you about all of its features in detail.
- Fit for Recovering Dogs: If your dog is recovering from some illness, it cannot digest heavy foods. This dog food is so light that it does not put pressure on your dog’s digestive system, and your dog can easily digest it in any condition. It is also helpful if your dog has food allergies.
- No Preservatives: This dog food contains only natural ingredients and no preservatives. You do not have to worry about feeding chemicals to your dog, and soya, grains, antibiotics, and potatoes are not added to this dog food.
- Quality Ingredients: Ingredients are sourced from Best New Zealand farms to give a quality finish to this product. Beef meat, liver, kidney, and bones are in the formula as a meat by-product in this dog food. Along with beef, the green mussel is also there to add some more vitamins and minerals.
- Amazing Taste: The ZiwiPeak dog food tastes so amazing that your dog will clean its bowl every time. You will not have to switch again from this brand once you start feeding it to your dog.
Nutritious: This dog food contains zinc amino acids and copper amino acid complex. It has minerals and vitamins like B1, B2, and E supplements. These vitamins and minerals improve the immunity of your dog.
- It is made with beef meat which gives tons of protein.
- Mainly mixed tocopherols are there as preservatives.
- Perfect fat to protein ratio to ensure a balanced diet.
- Air-dried beef to ensure chemical-free preservation.
- Green mussels are added to increase protein content.
- Fit for dogs with food allergies.
- You can feed this food to dogs with weak digestion due to illness.
- A pricey option to choose from.
- Beef in the ingredient may change with sheep due to the seasonal availability of beef meat.
Bonus Read: 7 Best Dog Clippers to Buy in Australia
#3. Free-Range Grass-Fed Beef
This dog food is the product of Frontier Pets, an Australian company that makes high-quality beef dog food. This company is also a contributor to ethical farming; it has raised millions of dollars toward this noble purpose.
This company is rated 9.7 by Pet Food Reviews Australia; this vows for the trust and quality of their dog food. The ingredients are directly taken from the Australian farms, ensuring a homely touch.
Now, we will tell you about the features of this dog food in detail to understand why it is number 3 on our list. The product is priced so affordably that you do not have to think twice before buying it. And you can prepare the meal hassle-free by yourself.
- Organic Vegetarian Ingredients: The fruits and vegetables used in this dog food are organically produced in Australian farms. This reduces the chances of infiltration of harmful fertilisers and pesticides in your dog’s diet. You can feed your dog carefree.
- Low Carbohydrates: This dog food contains only 9% carbohydrates, which is good because complex carbohydrates are harmful to dogs and cause health problems. A limited amount of carbohydrates will give energy to the dog as they transform into glucose.
- Freeze Dried: This dog food is freeze-dried so that the ingredients’ natural flavours remain intact. Freeze-drying allows the flavours to persist in the final product, and there remains no need to add artificial flavours.
Fit for All: This dog food fits every breed and size of a dog. You do not have to worry about compatibility. The ultra-light formula of this dog food makes it easy to digest. You can feed this food even to your ill dog.
- It is a gluten-free product that ensures a cholesterol-free diet for your dog.
- It offers easy storage and requires no refrigeration.
- Formula developed with experienced animal nutritionists.
- It contains offal from the free-range grass-fed beef.
- It is easy to carry as it weighs four times less than traditional dog foods.
- Turmeric, almonds, and seaweed give a good quantity of omega 3 in the diet.
- Easy to prepare.
- Some customers reported illness to their dog after consumption for a longer period.
#4. Stockman and Paddock High-Performance Dry Beef Food for Working Dog
Stockman and Paddock is another Australian beef dog food brand. This company offers two ranges of dog food working Dog formula and a grain-free formula, slightly cheaper than the first one.
But today, we are going to talk about the working dog formula. It is made with Australian-grown beef, and all the ingredients are freshly sourced from farms scattered all over the country. You get the trust of premium quality with it.
The life of a working dog is not easy in terms of daily exhaustion. After a busy day, your dog will need a good amount of energy so that it can give its best potential the next day. This dog food is a highly nutritious option to choose for your dog.
- Improve Digestion: This dog food has prebiotics; they improve the digestion in the dogs. But, your dog will not get addicted to prebiotics for digesting the food over long periods. It is not a drug but a stimulant.
- Suitable for Adults: Working dogs are taken to work after turning at least a year old. So, this dog food is made keeping this thing in mind. It is only suitable for adult dogs that are more than a year old.
- Offers a Balanced Diet: This dog food has the optimal amount of vitamins, minerals, and protein that a working dog needs. It also has a good quantity of omega3 and 6, ensuring the smooth performance of your dog’s vital organs.
- No Chemical Preservatives: There is no use of any harmful preservatives in this dog food, and there is also no use of soy, wheat, and grain. This dog food is also gluten-free to ensure the healthy heart of your dog.
- It has fish oil and Flaxseed, which gives healthy skin and fur.
- Rich in protein to give healthy muscles and endurance.
- It is a 100% made in Australia product.
- There is no artificial colour or flavour added to this Dog food.
- This dog food offers a highly nutritious diet to boost your dog’s potential.
- Easy to digest for an active dog.
- It is only suitable for dogs up to a year old.
- The company does not list salt content on the packaging.
Bonus Read: 6 Best Dog Gate Reviews
#5. ZiwiPeak Tinned Dog Food Venison
ZiwiPeak Tinned Dog Food Venison comes in fifth place on our list. This is another product of the New Zealand brand Ziwi peak, and this dog food is Venison, which means clean meat acquired from slaughtering.
This dog food also has New Zealand green mussels to boost its protein content. Meat and other ingredients are freshly acquired from natural farms. The meat is grass-fed and open ranch; it ensures good quality and tasty meat.
We will now tell you about its features in detail
- Healthy Fur: ZiwiPeak dog food contains a good quantity of protein which is beneficial for the muscles and furs of the dogs. When fed regularly, dogs are shown to have slightly fewer skin and fur-related problems.
- Fresh Venison Meat: This dog food comprises fresh venison meat, and it has a venison kidney, liver, and tripe. The meat is highly appealing to the dog, and they do not get bored with it in the long run.
- Rich in Nutrients: This dog food contains chickpeas which are a great source of protein. Apart from chickpeas, this dog food has Venison heart which is very rich in vitamins and minerals. Other ingredients like venison kidneys, liver, and lungs are highly nutritious.
- Chelated Minerals: This dog food has chelated minerals, which are chemically attached to the protein to be absorbed easily. These types of minerals are found in good-quality dog foods.
- Venison meat is used as a base, which is rich in nutrients.
- Selenium yeast is used, which is a safer anti-cancer than inorganic selenium.
- It is grain-free dog food, making it a healthy option for dogs.
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids and Glucosamine to keep vital organs healthy.
- It contains a good amount of meat and is thus more tasty to dogs.
- It has large amounts of carbohydrates which is 27% of the overall product.
- Fat content in dog food is not satisfying.
- Around 51% of the protein comes from chickpeas alone.
#6. Ivory Coat Puppy Chicken
Ivory Coat is an Australian brand that makes tasty dog foods. Today we will tell you about its puppy chicken dog food, and it is a grain-free product which makes this dog food a healthy option to choose.
This dog food is preserved with natural tocopherols, so you don’t have to worry about feeding a harmful chemical diet. It is fit for puppies as it helps in bones and muscle growth. This dog food is so tasty that even puppies with tantrums can’t hold back themselves.
We will now list down the features of this product.
- Natural Vegetable oils: Ivory Coat dog food contains flaxseed oil and chicken oil, which makes the vitamins and mineral content up to the mark. These natural oils also take care of your dog’s liver.
- Non-Chemical Preservatives: This dog food is preserved with the help of natural preservatives and thus free from any harmful chemicals.
- Promote Growth: This dog food is specially formulated to promote the healthy growth of puppies. The protein-rich ingredients help build muscle strength, bones, and also the dental health of puppies.
- Fit for All: This dog food fits every breed and age group. Dogs at any age require support for their muscles, and this dog food plays this role very well.
- Free from harmful chemicals, thus safe for long-term consumption.
- It has a good amount of protein and helps muscles build.
- It is grain-free dog food, thus healthy for dogs.
- It is a 100% made in Australia product.
- Peas, potatoes, and tapioca are used as vegetable ingredients.
- This dog food is expensive for the amount of nutrition it provides.
- Some dog owners reported digestion issues with their dogs.
- It has a lesser amount of protein content than its peers.
Bonus Read: 8 Best Dog Harness to Buy in Australia
#7. Hill’s Science Diet Oral Care Adult, Chicken Rice & Barley Recipe, Dry Dog Food
This is the final product on our list that we deem worthy of your consideration. This company under Colgate-Palmolive produces dog foods in Kansas, United States, and it is made up of naturally sourced ingredients.
This dog food has essential fatty acids that promote growth and take care of organs. This dog food is special for its dental care feature, and it has a good amount of calcium that deals with the tartar of your dog’s teeth.
We will now list down its most important features.
- Maintain Dental Health: This product specialises in dental care. It has active ingredients that remove tartar and plaque from the teeth. It deals with bad breath and tooth decay.
- Anti-Oxidants: This dog food has a good amount of antioxidants which is good for the heart of your four-legged buddy.
- Easy to Digest: This dog food has natural fibres and is easy to digest. You can feed this food to ill dogs also.
- Healthy Skin and Fur: This dog food has Omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E, which are good for the skin and fur of your dog.
- It is naturally preserved and safe for every breed and age.
- It has good amounts of vitamins and minerals.
- It helps to strengthen the immune system of your dog.
- It acts like a toothbrush for your dog as it has excellent tooth cleaning features.
- No artificial colours, flavours, or preservatives are used in this dog food.
- It has an amazing taste that your dog can’t hold itself back from eating.
- Ingredients are sourced from China, thus unreliable quality.
- It lacks animal-based protein; a large chunk of the protein content is plant-based.
- It has a high amount of Vitamin D that is unhealthy for dogs.
- It is more expensive than its peers.
The Bottom Line
There are so many brands in the market that choosing the perfect one becomes almost a daunting task. We covered the best nutritious dog foods, so you narrow down your choices and arrive at the best option.
We structured these brands in their effectiveness and quality. After going through this article, we hope that you do not have the slightest doubt regarding the best dog food. Take note of the ingredients and check the affordability according to your budget.