Swimming, surfing, and sailing are super fun activities (excuse the alliteration) for humans and dogs. But not all dogs love water the same way. While some breeds swim like a fish, other struggle and thrash about. What keeps them safe in the water is a life jacket.
Life jackets are compulsory according to Australian law. Though the law doesn’t specify it for dogs, pet parents don’t like to take chances. After all, the doggy is their baby, and they cannot leave it to fend for itself in the middle of a water body.
A dog life jacket is handy if you plan to train your pet to swim. Swimming is considered a good exercise for dogs and helps build muscle strength without hurting their joints. If you haven’t yet introduced your furball to water, make sure to use the life jacket as a precautionary move. If anything goes wrong, you don’t want your pet to be sacred for water.
The life jacket will protect your dog to a major extent. Be it pools, lakes, or the ocean, a life jacket keeps your dog safe and afloat when it enters the water body. You’ll still have to monitor your pet, but you don’t have to get stressed about it. As you might have already guessed, buying a dog life jacket is not that easy. There are quite a lot of models in the market, and finding the best one for your dog means tons of research.
Top 8 Best Life Jackets for Dogs
We’ve done that on your behalf and have listed the top eight best life jackets for dogs. Read through the below reviews and pick the one that’ll keep your pet baby safe and happy in the water.
|Life Jacket for Dogs||• Made of nylon and polyester|
• It comes with reflexive trims
• Quick delivery
|Dog Life Jacket Standley||• Available in blue and green colours|
• It can be used for cats
• Easily washable
|EzyDog Dog LifeJacket||• Comes in bright yellow and red|
• Has a curved neck
• Straps are adjustable
|EzyDog DFD X2 Boost||• It's lightweight|
• Comes in four colours
• Comfortable and support the dog in the water
|Outward Hound Dog Life Jacket||• Budget-friendly|
• Two strong handles for better grip
• Thermal insulation
|Queenmore Ripstop Dog Life Jacket||• Designed in the fish style|
• Available in 6 colours
• Available in different sizes
|Kong Kong Aqua Float||• Velcro vest with adjustable buckle|
• Comfortable design
|Froshine Small Dog Life Jacket||• A great swimsuit|
• High visibility acrylic coating
• Multiple buckles
#1. Dog Nation Life Jacket for Dogs
The first dog life jacket on our list is by Dog Nation. The polyester life jacket for the dog is secure, durable, and versatile. It comes in seven sizes, ranging from extra small (XXS) to extra large (XXL). The life jackets are also available in bright colours such as orange, red, pink, yellow, and blue. You can easily identify your dog from a distance.
The life jacket is adjustable and comes with two buckles to secure under the dog’s belly and on the side of the chest. Once you adjust the straps and buckle them, the life jacket won’t move an inch. At the same time, it will be breathable and comfortable enough for your dog to move around and swim.
You don’t have to worry if the life jacket gets dirty. Simply throw it into the washing machine and run the gentle wash. Take it out and leave it to air dry before using it again. Cool, right? The life jacket has been tested and certified for Australian surfing conditions. If you and your doggy like to ride the waves, go ahead and have fun!
- Material: The dog life jacket is made using 400D nylon and Ripstop polyester, making it durable and sturdy. There’s a floatation layer inside for additional protection.
- Versatile: The life jacket can also be used as a raincoat. Your doggy’s chest and tummy will be protected from the rain.
- Ease of Use: There’s a big handle on the top of the life jacket. This makes it easy to get the dog to wear the jacket, lift and carry your wet dog if necessary. If your furball is a little thing, the handle will be pretty handy to use.
- Reflective Trims: The life jacket also has reflective trims that increase visibility and give you peace of mind. Between the bright colours and the trims, you can be assured that your pet won’t be lost.
- Fast Delivery: Dog Nation provides fast delivery services when you order directly from the brand’s website.
- Stays in place
- Multiple colours and sizes
- It can be used as a raincoat
- Good quality material
- Dogs with bigger heads need the next size
#2. Outward Hound Dog Life Jacket Standley Sport High-Performance Life Jacket
Outward Hound’s Standley dog life jacket is made of Ripstop material and has a mesh bellyband to drain excess water and prevent your doggy from feeling heavier. The life jacket has an open design to allow free movements. The life jacket has been designed for experienced swimmers but can be comfortable for novice swimmers, too.
The life jacket is available in five sizes- XS, S, M, L, and XL. However, the sizes aren’t standard and can be tough to choose from. Measure your dog properly and then select the size that matches. Go for the next size if your doggy is fluffy or has more muscle/fat. The original design is more suitable for leaner dogs.
The life jackets come in blue and green colours for easy visibility over the distance. The two handles on the top are sturdy enough and make it easy to pick up the dog when necessary. There’s also a hook to attach the leash without removing the life jacket. Be a little careful with the hook, as it appears to be delicate.
- Neck Float: There’s an additional neck float to help dogs keep their heads above the water level. You can also use the leash for the same purpose.
- Adjustability: The straps are adjustable and help secure the life jacket properly around your dog. However, the jacket is longer at the backside and might not be fully comfortable for male dogs. You might have to choose the smaller size in such instances.
- Other Pets: The life jacket is equally suitable for cats as well. The smallest size should fit your cat nicely. Imagine your cat and dog in matching life jackets. Cute, right?
- Lightweight: The life jacket is a lightweight model and can be easily packed. When camping or holidaying with your dog, you can carry it and don’t worry about any extra weight.
- Good Build Quality: The life jacket is made of quality materials and designed to last for a long time. Washing it is simple and easy.
- It comes with a mesh bellyband
- Two strong grip handles
- Multiple sizes
- It has a leash attachment
- Neck float at the front
- Not entirely suitable for male dogs
- The sizing is not accurate
Bonus Read: 8 Best Dog Harness to Buy in Australia
#3. EzyDog Dog LifeJacket, Yellow, XS
The third dog life jacket on our list is by EzyDog. It is available in five sizes (XS to XL) and two bright colours- yellow and red. The smallest size of the life jacket is suitable for a dog weighing a minimum of 15 pounds. The life jacket has around 50% more flotation material than many other market models. This gives it better buoyancy and helps your dog stay afloat even in deep waters.
The grab handle is strong, holds your dog’s weight, and is perfectly integrated into the design. The life jacket is made of heavy-duty polyester and neoprene straps. It also has reflective piping on the sides to increase visibility.
What we love about this life jacket is the small pocket at the rear end. It can be used for storage purposes and to help balance the dog’s weight in water. This will make it easier for your pet to swim, especially if it has a larger head and a smaller body. The stitches at the seams aren’t as strong as we’d like. You can get them double-stitched for durability and safety.
- Leash Hook: There’s a D-ring at the top to hook the leash to the life jacket. However, it is made of plastic and can be prone to breakage due to rough use.
- Contoured Neck Design: The curved neck design protects the dog’s neck and keeps its head above water. This helps to minimise the risk of your dog getting underwater.
- Adjustable Straps: The body straps are flexible and can be buckled to suit the shape of your dog’s back and belly. You can also cross the straps to give a tighter fit if the life jacket feels lost.
- Ergonomic Fit: The life jacket by EzyDog has an ergonomic design intended to allow free movement in and out of the water. It is comfortable and fits snugly.
- It comes in five sizes
- Adjustable neoprene straps
- Ultra-buoyancy foam
- Easy to put on and remove
- Lightweight and sturdy
- The D-ring for the leash is made of plastic
- The stitch at the seams could be stronger
#4. EzyDog DFD X2 Boost
We have another life jacket or dog vest by the same company, EzyDog. The DFD X2 Boost model is a premium dog life jacket with an array of features and is suitable for all dog breeds. It is lightweight and made of high-quality materials to ensure great buoyancy in water. Your dog is sure to love wearing the life jacket and getting into the water for a swim.
The dog vest has a webbing layer inside the neck strap that allows breathability without causing any irritation due to loose webbing hanging outside. The neoprene handle is integrated into the upper part of the vest. It provides a good grip for you to lift and carry the dog when required.
The buckle straps are wide and sturdy enough to hold the life jacket in place. Moreover, it is super easy to get your dog to wear the vest. Removing the life jacket doesn’t take time, either. It won’t stick to the dog’s body or cause any discomfort. Your dog will be out of the vest and happily running around in less than a minute. The brand sells the dog vest in five sizes, ranging from XS to XL. Be sure to select the right size.
- Buoyancy: The vest is made using premium-quality materials that provide wonderful buoyancy. Even heavier dogs will have no trouble floating on water when wearing this life jacket.
- Multiple Colours: EzyDog DFD X2 comes in four different colours to choose from. The yellow, red, blue, and pink are bright, cheerful, and offer great visibility. The reflective trims add to the colours.
- New Design: The new design of the life jacket increases comfort and support for dogs in water. The vest shapes itself around the dog’s body instead of being stiff and tight. This provides better agility.
- Additional Rear Attachment: There’s a special light attachment at the rear end for you to hook a small light. This further increases the visibility of the dog, especially in the dark or in deep waters.
- It comes in five sizes
- Available in four colours
- Top collar adjustability
- Neoprene grab handle
- Light attachment point
- Not budget-friendly
- The belly flap needs better adjustment
#5. Outward Hound Granby Splash Orange Dog Life Jacket, XL
We have another dog life jacket by Outward Hound, and this one is called Granby. You can purchase it in sizes XS to XL, and it comes at a budget-friendly price. The premium quality of the material makes the vest last for a long time. The combination of materials makes it reliable, safe, and supportive for dogs that like to swim.
The life jacket has been designed to assist newbies, and experienced swimmers float on water with ease. You can be assured that your doggy will fall in love with water if you use this life jacket. The front neck float and the belly band provide additional comfort to your fur baby. However, remember that the vest is suitable for use in calm waters. Be alert if you take your dog into waves.
The life jacket has two strong handles to give you a better grip when lifting the dog from the water. It’s much better than the single grip, which can cause discomfort to you and your dog. The handles are integrated into the design to prevent them from breaking or coming apart.
- Velcro Belly Straps: The life jacket has Velcro belly straps and clips to keep it in place. This makes it doubly secure. Moreover, the straps and clips are adjustable and can be tightened or loosened to suit your dog’s size.
- Bright Colour: The vest comes in a bright neon orange colour, with great visibility. The fun fish variant is also in orange and has white strips for a cuter look.
- Longer Design: The life jacket is slightly longer at the top so that it covers longer dogs from the neck to the tail. However, you’ll have to size up for a comfortable fit. The vests are not true to size.
- Neoprene Belly Band: There’s a special neoprene belly band over which the Velcro straps are secured. This cushions the doggy’s tummy and gives it a secure feeling in the water. Novice dogs will feel safe when they enter the water for the first time.
- Affordable dog life jacket
- Additional front neck float
- For the novice and experienced swimmers
- Dual handle design
- Thermal insulation to prevent cold
- It can be used only in calm waters
- Need to size up in most instances
#6. Queenmore Ripstop Small Dog Life Jacket Fish Style
Queenmore has these cute life jackets for dogs designed in a fish style. The vests have a fin at the back. The pink life jacket comes in with a fishtail design at the back and fish scales on the top. Your furball is going to be super sweet in these life jackets.
The vests are available in five sizes (XS to XL) and a range of colours, such as grey, pink, red, green, orange, and fuchsia. The life jackets are made of Ripstop material and have nylon straps with quick-release buckles. The polyethylene foam helps with flotation, though the jackets are suitable only for small to mid-sized dogs. A bigger dog might not stay afloat if it doesn’t know how to swim.
The life jackets have Velcro fastening for extra security. Make sure to see that the Velcro doesn’t come in contact with the dog’s skin. The reflective piping and trims provide the necessary visibility even for grey-coloured vests.
- Quality Materials: The belly side of the life jacket has breathable mesh. It’s quick to dry and easy to clean. Moreover, the life jacket provides your dog with the necessary warmth, especially in cold conditions.
- Rubber Handle: The vests have a rubber grip handle instead of fabric ones. This makes the handle easy to use and provides better control when lifting or lowering the dog. Moreover, you can adjust the handle as per your requirements.
- Many Sizes: Though the life jacket is available in different sizes, you need to be doubly careful in ordering the right one for your pet. The vests are not true to size.
- Waterproof: The vest is made using premium Oxford fabric and is waterproof. Your dog’s back, chest, and belly will not get wet.
- Budget-friendly dog life jackets
- Magic sticker fastening
- D-ring to hook the leash
- Available in multiple colours and sizes
- Polyethylene foam for buoyancy
- Not suitable for large dogs
- The sizing is not appropriate
Also Read: Best Dog Food in Australia [Updated 2022]
#7. Kong Kong Aqua Float Green/Silver/Red XSml
The next dog life jacket on our list is by Kong. The aqua-flotation vest is suitable for dogs of various sizes and shapes and comes in two bright colours- green and pink. The vest has a Velcro strap under the neck and is supported by an adjustable buckle. The bottom part of the life jacket has a breathable mesh that allows free movement and helps dry the vest faster.
There’s a D-ring at the top to hook the leash and guide your dog through the water, or on the land. Be a little careful with the ring. It can’t stand rough use. However, the rescue handle is reinforced and made extra strong to lift a dog without hurting it.
The life jacket has multiple layers of foam and lives up to its name. Big or small, your dog will float on water when wearing this jacket. That said, the vest is more suitable for experienced swimmers than newbies. Of course, you can still guide your puppy or doggy in water and help it learn to swim and keep its neck above the water level.
- Affordable: The life jacket is a pocket-friendly model and comes for a great price. Just make sure to buy the right size after carefully measuring your dog. Size up if you are not sure.
- Buoyancy: The life jacket is surprisingly sturdy and made of good quality materials. Be it in a pool, river, or sea; your dog can stay afloat wearing this life jacket.
- Comfortable: It comes in a comfortable and adjustable design. For smaller breeds, the life jacket covers from the neck to the tail and keeps your little doggy safe and secure.
- Durability: The life jacket is durable and can last for a reasonable time if you take proper care of it. The reflective binding and the colours don’t fade over time.
- Breathable mesh for quick drying
- D-ring hook for the leash
- Multiple foam layers
- Extra string rescue grip handle
- Adjustable buckles and Velcro straps
- Not true to size
- The clasp could be stronger
#8. Froshine Small Dog Life Jacket Coat Vest Saver Safety Swimsuit Preserver with Rescue Handle for Small Middle Large Dogs
The last dog life jacket we’ll discuss is by Froshine. This safety vest is a swimsuit for dogs and is suitable for furballs of different sizes. The life jacket comes in two colours with different designs. The pink vest has a mermaid design, while the grey vest boasts a shark fin. The life jackets are budget-friendly, though they aren’t as durable as a few other models.
The life jacket is a better choice for dogs that can swim and are confident in the water. It works the best as a swimsuit and helps your pet stay floated on water to enjoy the swim. If your doggy is new to swimming, make sure not to leave it alone. Use the D-ring to hook the leash or grip the handle to control your dog’s movement until it learns how to navigate in the water body.
The life jacket has a high visibility acrylic coating and piping to ensure that you never lose sight of your little dog as it swims away from you. Choose the next size if your dog measures between two sizes. That’ll ensure extra comfort.
- Quality Material: The life jacket is made using Oxford polyester and nylon fabric with breathable mesh at the belly and pearl cotton foam for buoyancy. That said, the straps are properly stitched to the vest. You’ll have to double-stitch them for safety.
- Good-Looking Design: Your doggy will look super cute in either design created by the brand. Make your choice based on what your dog will like the most.
- Multiple Buckles: The vest has adjustable buckles under the belly and neck to ensure safety.
- Breathable and Secure: The life jacket is secure, comfortable, and breathable. It dries faster once your dog leaves the water.
- Mermaid-style design
- Ripstop Oxford polyester & nylon fabric
- Heavy-duty D-ring
- Adjustable buckles
- Breathable belly mesh
- The straps are not well-stitched
- Not entirely durable
The Bottom Line
Dog life jackets are a must, no matter what. The vests keep your fur babies safe when you go kayaking or boat-riding. Even dogs that are excellent swimmers require life jackets. Make use of our list to find the best life jacket for your dog and ensure its safety in the water.