Puppies are cute adorable little bundles of energy. They are active and always ready to play. If only we had the same levels of energy and enthusiasm, right? While it is lovely to have a tiny fur ball running around, there will be times when you need them to be still or restricted to one area. But they don’t listen when you ask them to sit and not move, do they?
So how do you keep puppies in one part of the house and also allow them to play?
You need a playpen. Yep, a playpen is a larger version of a dog crate and is more comfortable for puppies. It’s pretty similar to the baby cage, where you can leave your kid to play and not worry about them wandering off or hurting themselves.
A playpen for puppies is a safe house that makes them feel secure and gives enough breathing space to not feel suffocated. It also helps you potty train the puppy in less time. You can keep a close eye on the puppy from afar and know that it’s safe and happy in the playpen.
Well, buying a playpen should be easy, isn’t it? After all, there are so many variants and models in the market. And that’s where the problem lies. How do we know which playpen is the best for your puppy? What if the puppy doesn’t like the playpen you bought or finds it scary? No need to worry anymore. We have got answers to your questions.
Top 5 Best Playpens for Puppies
We’ve tested various playpens in the Australian market and listed the top 5 best playpens for puppies. Read through our reviews to get a better idea and choose the one that’s perfect for your tiny bundle of fur and love.
|24 Dog Playpen Dog Dence||• Safe for puppies.|
• Rust resistant.
• Comes in different shapes and sizes.
|Zampa Portable Foldable playpen||• Versatile.|
• Water resistant.
• Easy to clean.
|30 Dog Playpen Dog Dence||• Foldable.|
• Easy maintenance.
|Akinerri Pet Playpen||• Looks Appealing.|
• Good quality fabric and mesh.
• Removable and washable top cover.
|Soft Pet Playpen Portable||• Suitable for indoor and outdoor use.|
• Hassle free to install.
#1. 24″ Dog Playpen Dog Dence Exercise Pen
The first playpen for puppies on our list is the 24″ Model 2 Dog Playpen sold by Jodoao. The playpen is made of sturdy iron wire and rods. The package contains eight single panels that you can assemble to form almost any shape you want. The easiest shape to create the panels would be octagonal.
The panels are 61 cm high and keep the puppies inside with ease. You don’t have to worry about a hyperactive pup jumping out of the playpen. That’s not going to happen. You can easily house your dog and puppy inside the pen if needed.
Another advantage of the playpen is the ease of assembling. Use it indoors and outdoors or just about anywhere you want. You can firmly fix the playpen in the ground when using it outdoors. This prevents the playpen from moving or being disturbed by others. What’s more, there’s no need for a single tool to set up the playpen. Just carry it along with you and assemble it where you want.
The door comes with two latches that prevent puppies from opening them and coming out of the playpen. Even if the pup somehow manages to unlock one latch, the other will keep it inside. Don’t forget to file the latch edges as these are sharp and can hurt the fur ball.
Remove the playpen panels and fold them together to store them in a compact space until the need arises again. It won’t take you long to do it. Shall we look at the features of the playpen for puppies?
- Multipurpose Playpen: The playpen is not limited to puppies and dogs. You can also use it for other pets, such as rabbits, cats, guinea pigs, chickens, and so on. Buy multiple sets if you need playpens for all your pets at the same time.
- Safe and Secure: The dog opens wide enough for the puppy to walk in and out with ease. Once you secure the latches, the puppy is safe inside the playpen.
- Easy Maintenance: We can’t ignore this factor, isn’t it? The playpen is super easy to clean and maintain. Just use a spray cleaner and a cloth to wipe the panels. You can wash it outdoors if it gets too dirty. Ensure to wipe away the excess water and let it completely dry. The playpen is rust-resistant.
- Different Sizes: Though we’ve reviewed the 24″ model in this article, you can buy bigger ones, depending on your requirements. The company sells the playpen in 24″, 30″, 36″, 39″, and 42″ sizes.
- Various Shapes: You can assemble the playpen in several shapes. In fact, you can turn it into a 2-in-1 playpen, with secure areas for two puppies or a dog and a pup.
- Multi-Use: The playpen can also be used as a barricade between different parts of the house. You can set it up in the corridor or near the entrance of the bedroom to prevent puppies from entering the other side.
- Warranty: The company gives a one-year limited warranty on the playpen. It also promises reliable customer service if you have any queries or issues with the playpen.
- For indoor and outdoor use
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Anti-rust metal
- One-year warranty
- Versatility in shape and size
- Big and sturdy enough to handle puppies
- Good customer service
- The edges near the lock are sharp
- Humans need to jump over to enter
#2. Zampa Portable Foldable Pet Playpen
The second playpen for puppies on our list is by Zampa, a different model from the previous one. Made using durable materials, the playpen is portable and looks more like a big pet carrier. It is water-resistant and has mesh walls that allow pups to see the outside world.
Moreover, the playpen doesn’t need any assembling. Just remove it from the carrying case (it comes in the package) and open it fully. Then place it on even ground before letting your puppy inside. You can even use the top mesh cover to secure the pup from all sides. The top is attached to the playpen using a zipper. It’s quite useful, though we hoped the zipper would be stronger.
The playpen is a lightweight model. It’s easy to carry it in the soft case when going out to the parks or camping. The closed bottom ensures that the puppy is not left directly on the open ground when outside for long. The eight enclosed walls will create a feeling of security for the pup.
The playpen has four metal spikes to ensure safety. Furthermore, it has pockets on the outer side to store some puppy food, water bottle, toys, treats, leash, etc. All the pup’s items can be in one place during usage. That’s convenient, right? The chic and appealing appearance are other advantages of this playpen. Let’s look at its features to know more.
- Versatile: Zampa playpen is popular for its versatility. It is a preferred choice for dogs and cats alike. Some like to use it for rabbits, though only for a limited time.
- Colours and Sizes: The playpen comes in four attractive colours- pink, red, blue, and brown. In addition, it is available in five sizes, from extra small to large. Choose the one that is roomy and comfortable for your puppy. We recommend opting for one size up as pups grow really fast.
- Door and Roof: Yes, this playpen has a door and a roof. Of course, you can simply lower the pup from the top, but if you want to train the little one, make him use the door. The roof is removable, though try not to use the zipper too much. Also, train the pup not to chew the zipper region.
- Permanent Base: Unlike the roof, the bottom of the playpen cannot be removed. This makes it more secure and reliable. You don’t have to worry about the pup chewing through the bottom or falling off due to zipper malfunctioning.
- Water-Resistant: The playpen is water-resistant and can sustain mild rain. Your puppy won’t end up wet if the playpen is close to the pool or sea. However, it is not waterproof. Don’t carry the playpen into the water if your pup is uncomfortable.
- Easy Cleaning: Puppies naturally will dirty the playpen. You can vacuum the hair and mess and wipe away the rest without much trouble. Clean it regularly to keep the playpen neat and free of germs.
- It is made of lightweight material
- Foldable and portable
- It comes with storage compartments
- Available in different sizes and colours
- Reliable build quality
- No need to assemble
- A mesh top to zipping in the puppy
- It comes in a soft carrying case
- It can tip over if it’s not stable
- The zippers are not of good quality
Also Read: 6 Best Dog Gate Reviews
#3. 30″ Dog Playpen Dog Dence Exercise Pen
Jodoao has two models of playpens for pets, and both are equally popular in the market. We’ve discussed Model 2 as the first best playpen for puppies. Now, it’s time to review Model 1 and see how good it is for your little pups.
The main difference between Model 1 and 2 is the material. This playpen is made using steel and painted in black. However, it is equally sturdy and durable. The door is designed a little differently. That shouldn’t be a significant deciding factor unless your pup is an expert in unlatching certain doors.
The playpen is medium-sized (30″) and is 76 cm high that covers a wide area and can easily house two to four active pups. They can run around, play, and knock the panels with full energy. The playpen won’t move an inch or topple to the side. Once you assemble it on even ground, it’ll stay put until you disassemble it again. The panels have rounded edges and smoothened sides to prevent the puppies from being injured. Even if the fur balls lean on the panels or poke their noses out from the grids, it’s okay.
This model is extendable and can be made as big as you want. All you need is to buy another playpen and attach it with this one. You can set up an extra-large playpen by combining two or more. This is very helpful when outdoors. You can leave the dogs and pups together inside the playpen as long as they are familiar with each other.
- Spacious and Roomy: Pups need space to play, and this playpen offers them exactly that. Your pup won’t feel restricted or confined in this playpen. It also gives puppies a complete view of what’s going on outside the playpen.
- Versatility: Do you have farm animals like lambs, chickens, guinea pigs, etc.? Go ahead and buy this playpen for all of them. You can even get it for kittens. Cats might try and climb out, though it won’t be an easy job.
- Foldable and Portable: The playpen is a collection of eight connected panels. You can fold and stack the panels on each other and carry the playpen from one place to another. Use it indoors and outdoors. You’ll get the same results.
- Any Shape & Anywhere: Though the default shape of the playpen is octagonal, you don’t have to set it up that way. Depending on the space availability, you can alter the shape from a square to a rectangle to double squares.
- Affordability: The playpen by Jodoao is affordable, durable, and cost-effective. It is a one-time investment and can last for a long time. Buy it for your puppy and use it even when your doggy gets old and has pups of its own.
- Ease of Use: The playpen is easy to use and clean since you only have to wipe the panels. If you’re worried about the cold, place a slip-free mat on the ground and set up the playpen around it.
- It is affordable and budget-friendly
- The playpen can be extended
- Anti-rust steel frame
- It comes with panel locks
- One-year limited warranty
- Doesn’t topple or trip over
- Rounded edges to prevent injuries
- Strong build quality and durable
- It doesn’t have a base or a roof
- Comes in a single colour
Also Read: 7 Best Dog Clippers to Buy in Australia
#4. Akinerri Pet Playpen Portable Foldable Playpen for Dog
Akinerri Pet Playpen is a foldable, portable, and sturdy playpen for puppies, dogs, cats, and other little pets. The playpen has a hexagonal shape and should be folded as per the instructions provided by the manufacturer. This makes it easy to install and use the playpen anytime you want and prevents damage.
The playpen has a strong base that holds the structure. It can also survive the scratching of the puppy. The base cannot be removed or replaced. However, the top can be unzipped and attached as and when necessary. Do remember that the top cover is half mesh and half fabric. The door has a mesh lining, with all the side walls having mesh and fabric in half and half.
Akinerri has designed the playpen in three attractive colours- green & grey, blue & grey, and black & grey. Depending on the puppy or pet you own, you can buy the playpen in three sizes. Opt for a bigger size to allow the pup free movement inside. The poor little thing shouldn’t feel cramped.
The playpen has side pockets and a mesh water bottle holder. That said, the small-sized playpen doesn’t come with pockets or a holder. You can use the playpen indoors and outdoors with ease. It’s a lightweight model and can be carried anywhere you go with your pup. The company doesn’t provide a carrying case for the playpen. You’ll need to get a case/ bag separately.
- Good Looking: The playpen is good-looking and attractive. If your pup loves colours, it’s sure to like the playpen by sight. That makes things easier to get the pup inside. Of course, treats are just as handy.
- Reliable: The playpen has the right combination of mesh and fabric. It allows proper ventilation while ensuring enough shade if you leave the playpen in the hot outdoors.
- Lightweight: The playpen is surprisingly easy to carry. You don’t need any help to lift or transport it from one place to another. It needs to be folded in accordion style (refer to the instructions) to hold the shape well.
- Easy to Clean: Cleaning the playpen can be a headache but not with this model. The top cover is fully removable and washable. You can vacuum the dirt and wash the rest by stepping inside from the top. Just don’t dry it in the machine.
- Well-Built: Despite the lightweight design, the playpen is well-built and sturdy. It won’t topple even if the puppies roll around and knock the sides. However, don’t leave the pups unsupervised when outside (away from home).
- Made of 600D Oxford fabric
- Easy to set up and fold back
- It comes in three sizes and colour combinations
- Removable top cover
- Mesh door and sides for ventilation
- Hard and durable base
- Lightweight and portable
- Sturdy build
- No water bottle slot in small size
- The zippers aren’t strong enough
Also Read: 8 Best Dog Harness to Buy in Australia
#5. Soft Pet Playpen Portable Exercise Pen Kennel
The fifth and last playpen for puppies is the one by AUSWY. The Soft Pet Playpen is portable, lightweight, sturdy, and versatile. The playpen comes with a detachable base and top cover that can be placed indoors and outdoors. You can remove either of them or both, depending on where you set up the playpen and how long the pup needs to stay inside it.
The playpen comes in a carrying case and has additional fibreglass rods to support the structure. Once you unfold the playpen and set it up, insert the fibreglass rods in the slots provided outside. This gives the playpen the necessary shape and structure.
Most of the playpen is covered in fabric. However, half of the upper portion is made of breathable mesh that allows free ventilation and airflow inside. The top cover is also made of mesh and can be removed by unzipping.
Even the base of the playpen is removable. However, it has Velcro to hold the base with the rest of the structure. That said, be careful with the base. The Velcro comes off easily and is of little use if your pup is active. You’ll need to add more Velcro strips or connectors to keep the base attached to the rest of it. The playpen has two doors – One to use as the entrance and the other as an exit. The playpen also has outside pockets to store your puppy’s things.
- Steel Frames: The playpen has steel frames to give strength to the fabric and hold the shape. These frames are supported by additional fibreglass rods to add stability to the design and prevent it from toppling over.
- Indoor and Outdoor Use: The playpen is suitable for indoor and outdoor use. You can use it anywhere to provide a secure and safe environment for your puppies.
- Easy to Store: The playpen can be easily folded and stored in the carrying case that comes in the package. We recommend using the carrying case for transportation and storage. That way, the playpen will not be damaged when not in use.
- Simple and Quick Set-Up: There’s no need to assemble the playpen. You only need to open it and insert the fibreglass rods. However, no instructions are provided. This can be a problem if you haven’t ever tried to set up a playpen before.
- Two Zippered Doors: We know how much pups like doors. This playpen has two zippered doors so that your pup can use them as entrance and exit gates. It’ll be a fun way to train them to get into the playpen.
- Suitable for Several Pets: The playpen is not limited to puppies. You can use it for cats, guinea pigs, etc. Since the playpen comes in two sizes (medium & large), it’s easier to choose the best one for your pet.
- It comes with a carrying bag
- Made of high-quality 600D Oxford fabric
- It is foldable and portable
- The playpen comes in two sizes
- It has fibreglass rods for support
- The floor mat and roof are removable
- Breathable mesh for ventilation
- Additional pockets for storage
- The playpen doesn’t come with instructions
- The base attachment needs to be better
The Bottom Line
Playpens for puppies are super helpful when you need to take care of the littles at home or outside. You can be assured that the pup isn’t going to harm itself by running around or tripping over something.
Luckily, you can find playpens in different models in the Australian market. Check out our article to have a better idea when researching the perfect playpen for your puppy. After all, you want nothing but the best for the little furball. Right?